Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Christmas Eve on Sesame Street

Throughout my childhood, PBS ran 1978's Christmas Eve on Sesame Street ad nauseam throughout the month of December - and I was determined to catch every single airing. Alas, PBS has retired this special, in favor of some crappy one featuring The Monster That Ruined Sesame Street Elmo. I've been holding out hope for several years that they'll pull this out of the vault, but no such luck. Thank God for Youtube.

And now for some commentary:



  • I will always and forever associate Jose Feliciano's "Feliz Navidad" with this special.


  • Damn, it couldn't have been easy to skate around in that Big Bird costume. Big Bird (and his costume) is 8'2"!


  • Oscar would NEVER say that Santa is "built like a dump truck" in the overly PC Sesame Street of today. Obesity is a growing epidemic, ya know.


  • Ah, Bob. Your singing voice makes me melt (shut up, you know it makes you melt too).


  • Luis who? Back in those days, Maria and David were an item.


  • Hee! I love how the subway drowned out Oscar's scathing remarks to Big Bird. It totally gave the illusion of profanity.


  • Bert and Ernie sure are crappy gifters. Oh well, it's the thought that counts.


  • I would love to know where the kids Grover and Kermit interviewed are now.


  • This special was one of the only times I was exposed to Mr. Hooper. The actor who portrayed him died in 1982 (and the episode that addressed his death aired when I was approximately 27 days old)


  • Ah what Christmas special would be complete without a Gift of the Magi (or A Christmas Carol or It's a Wonderful Life) parody?


  • Prune cookies? Jeez Cookie Monster, you're already bulimic. Are you looking for a new way to purge?


  • Why are you bitching, Big Bird? You don't HAVE a chimney. You'll get your damn presents.


  • Heh, I almost forgot that Cookie Monster was saying "Cowabunga!" long before Michelangelo.


  • "I'll tell him where to put his toys." Pretty raunchy line for Sesame Street.


  • "Oh Ernie, what a great, superb packing job." I'M NOT TOUCHING THAT ONE!


  • Out of all the Christmas songs for Bert and Ernie to sing, they WOULD pick the one that includes the line "make the Yuletide gay" (sorry, couldn't resist).


  • Don't you have parents or some kind of guardian, Patty?


  • A half-frozen Big Bird, coupled with that SNORING was one of the most frightening images ever to three-year old me.


  • "I think my giblets are frozen." Holy innuendo, Batman! At least to my one-track mind.


  • So Patty DOES have a mom! Maybe she had a little too much eggnog that night?


  • Oscar's last line, followed by Big Bird's silent sputtering = best ending ever.

Here's part 1. I'm not about to embed all seven parts, so for the rest, just click the uploader's name.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss that special! I was trying to find it in the TV listings. Too bad they don't show it any more... Keep Christmas with you, all through the year.....

posatheighn said...

visit the website Louis Vuitton replica Bags top article replica bags online my link replica bags

Scott said...

Great post, thankyou