Friday, February 15, 2008

Out of This World

For the record, Out of This World is the show about the alien. Small Wonder is the one about the robot.

I didn't watch this show as religiously as the others I've blogged about, but I feel obligated to do an entry about it, since I did one about Small Wonder and so many people tend to confuse the two.

If you remember the theme song, you might recognize it as Bing Crosby's "Swinging on a Star". It's funny how an old standard is so often associated with a short-lived syndicated series by members of my generation. I'm sure this makes pre-Baby Boomers want to tear their hair out.

So this story had your basic Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, and Sabrina the Teenage Witch formula:

  • Evie discovers she's half-alien
  • upon coming of age, Evie receives supernatural powers
  • Evie abuses said powers, all while trying to keep her identity a secret
  • wacky hijinks ensue
The most notable of Evie's powers was the ability to stop time. To this day, if I could pick any power, that would be it.

Evie's father (who we never saw) was voiced by none other than Bandit. Additionally, her uncle was Plucky Duck.

Here's a full episode, split up into four parts. Enjoy!




3 comments:

SusannahS said...

Don't forget her mom was in SAturday Night Live.

My friend and I are trying to remember what shows came on before and after Small Wonder and Out of the World. I think My Secret Identity did, but we think there was another one in the same tween/teen genre. By any chance do you remember?

SusannahS said...

I meant Saturday Night FEVER!

Emily said...

I don't remember and since the show was syndicated, there are numerous possibilities. I think at one point my local network might have aired Saved by the Bell reruns before Out of this World, but I might be wrong.